Streams of Thought
An evening of interdisciplinary water knowledge
—Featuring a screening of the new film Watermark by Edward Burtynsky and Jennifer Baichwal
March 19, 2014
5:30 pm to 9:00 pm, CCIS PCL Lounge, University of Alberta
Water is a topic that interconnects us all and flows through many aspects of life and industry.
As a celebration of this interconnectedness, the Canadian Water Resources Association Edmonton Students and Young Professionals group and the University of Alberta Water Initiative are hosting Streams of Thought—an evening of interdisciplinary knowledge sharing—to showcase the breadth and scope of water work in Edmonton and promote collaboration across sectors.
The event runs in conjunction with UAlberta Water Week and will consist of a poster session and screening of the film Watermark.
The event is free to attend and refreshments will be provided.
The submissions that we’ve received range in topics including:
- Anthropology of hydraulic dam development in indigenous communities
- Water reclamation and reuse facility design
- Innovative detection methods for pathogens in drinking water
- Bioremediation of contaminated water from oilsands development
- Enhanced disinfection technologies
- Detection and remediation of disinfection byproducts in drinking water systems
- Sociology of flood event response practices and perceptions
- Fine arts performance exploring the impact of development on rural Alberta
- And many more!
View the Streams of Thought poster
Schedule of Activities
5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
- Poster session and discussion space featuring innovative water research and projects from the Edmonton research and industry community.
- Aaron Veldstra will be performing Experiments in Artistic Hydrology.
- The University of Alberta Office of Sustainability will be hosting their Tap Water Taste Test.
Snacks and refreshments will be provided.
7:15 pm - 8:45 pm
- Screening of the film Watermark by Edward Burtynsky and Jennifer Baichwal.
We will be accepting donations for Engineers Without Borders to support the work they are doing to improve access to clean water and basic sanitation in Sub-Saharan Africa.
8:45 pm - 9:00 pm
- Awards presentation and closing remarks.
Streams of Thought Student Organizers can be contacted at email@example.com.